Looks like many things are coming to a head this week.
Tomorrow our contractor will come out and begin demolition and cleanup at our house. Meanwhile, our insurance adjuster has nearly finished his estimate, so this week we should finally have some firm figures.
Also we have decided to move into a house in Woodson Terrace, just a stone’s throw from our friend Dave. Assuming all the paperwork goes through and there are no hitches, we could move in Thursday or Friday.
I pulled up to our house this morning and found my insurance adjuster around the back. He was climbing what remained of our tree, snapping photos of the broken kitchen. Our tree guys had cleared away much of the oak yesterday and liberated our home of its trunk.
We pored over every detail. “How many windows did your sunroom have? Your house had hardwood floors throughout, right? How old is your roof?” He used debris and other evidence to figure out the dimensions of the sunroom, the number of windows, etc. I was surprised to learn our house had a shell of 4 inch cinder blocks, with plaster applied directly to the blocks. The brick was a veneer around the outside of that.
My contractor arrived and we went through the house. The adjuster took careful note of cracks in the walls. He found new cracks in the living/dining room, and certainly the massive cracks on the south wall of the girls’ room were substantially worse.
We opened the basement window and clambered down. (The adjuster complimented me on being limber. First time for everything) Same story down below: some suspicious new cracks. At a minimum the entire south wall and cinderblock foundation must be replaced.
But there’s the catch: At a minimum. There is a possibility they may decide to total the house, and we would build the entire thing anew.
The adjuster will give his assessment to State Farm and we will have to wait to find out what they decide. It could be a number of days before we know. If they total it, then we’ll need to move out all the furniture, etc. But if not, we can leave most of it in the front of the house.
One part of me is excited by the prospect of a new house. But it’s too early and honestly I don’t know what to think. I know there is a long road ahead. We will be displaced at least three months, but probably more like six. Will it affect our vacation plans? Will it be a giant headache?
There’s so much uncertainty. We are thinking and praying. And waiting.
Though I had hoped we would get to it sooner, tree cutting finally came today. As I write this, the guys are hard at work slicing that monster into small pieces and getting it all out to the curb.
The following video shows the tree removal early in the process this morning and then again in the afternoon when I brought the girls to see the tree before it was gone.
Continue reading “Video: Tree removal”